SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Questions about Pivot Hinge 36-031

A handy person from San Luis Obispo says:
Questions about Pivot Hinge # 36-031: I think this hinge will serve my needs for horizontal pivot window, but I have a few questions.

I wish to take an old wood framed stained glass window of approx 36 " w x 48" h and install it in a window frame so as to have it pivot out on the top and inward on the bottom. If I mount this hinge so the pivot point is at the center of vertical balance will: 1) the hinge be strong enough for this window (estimate at 30-35lbs), and 2) will the resistence in the hinge be adequate to avoid the need for some other balance restraint mechanism.

Any advise would be appreciated - I'm just a somewhat knowledgable do it yourselfer.
Thanks
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Sure, I'd be happy to help. Personally, I think the 36-021HD or the 36-024HD type hinges would be a better choice. These are used with hopper and awning type commercial windows and have an adjustable brass friction guide in the track. I would think that could help keep the sash in the open position without the use of other hardware. Take a look and see what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)