SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Questions concerning the 82-055

A quick learner says:

I have a couple of questions regarding the handle set that I purchased. I have been traveling for business the last few weeks and have not been able to reach out earlier. I purchased this one however there are a few problems this is the exact handle that was on the door prior.

The long thin inner metal piece doesn't stay in place and pops out, this is the piece that prevents the locking mechanism from locking on its own. It goes into the handle portion itself - it doesn't seem to stay put, you put it in and it pops out almost as if its to small.

Also the actual lock seems as its not long enough for the door, it doesn't reach the hook to lock.I compared it to the one i had on the door previously and the one that was there was a very very small size longer.

What can be done about the metal piece and does the locking mechanism come longer?

Right now i only have the handle on to open and close the door and i put a piece of wood to prevent the door from opening but it does not have direct access to the house only a sun room.

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I can't be sure, but I think you could have an older Acorn 1200 series Dorwal handle set. That specific part is no longer made. Could you use the inside latch hook from your existing lock to make the 82-055 functional? Also take a look at the 82-248 hook latch to see if that matches up to your original latch. If not, I'm afraid options are limited. An exact match for the older handle hardware was never made.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)