SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

RE: Springs

A quick learner from PA says:
On my old system, as seen in Pic, the spring is 1 inch longer and a thinner guage than your replacement units. Everything else is perfect except the springs
User submitted photos of window balances.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I see you ordered an S850-34 balance with a 1-1/4" white shoe, while your old balance had a 1-1/4" black shoe. If your sash weighs more than pounds, you can still use the white shoe. However, if it isn't, you are going to have to return them and purchase an S850-34 with the black shoe.
A quick learner from Glen mills pa says:
I don't believe that the plastic shoe is the issue I think the tension on your spring is greater than the original also the length of the old spring is 1 inch longer. I have attached the new parts and the window is very difficult to close
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The color of the nylon shoe is actually what lets you know what the spring strength is. A different color shoe means a different strength spring. That's why it's important to only order exactly what was installed in your window in the first place.

The spring on our S850-34 with a white shoe is 1" shorter than the same balance with a black shoe. That means you will need to order a balance with the appropriate color shoe.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)