SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

RIVCO insulated glass window balances

A home owner from Rochester, NH says:
My home has RIVCO insulated glass, double hung, tilt in windows, ca 1972. I have one window that still has the original counterbalances that need replacing. Are the parts available to rebuild the originals? Are replacements available for the entire assemblies? The number stamped on the channel is 24
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Yes, we can help you choose the replacement balance you will need but I need more information about your existing balance. Can remove one of the balances from the window and take a few pictures of it? Take a close up picture of both the top and the bottom ends of the balance. Also, take a closer look at the balance stamp - there should be more numbers on it.
Here are some detailed pictures of one of the balances. What fails is the locking shoe that holds the sash in the open position. The plastic on the shoe (black in the pictures) breaks, slams into the aluminum channel and the sash can no longer be held in position. The only marking on the channel is the "24" as shown in the pictures. I have been able to buy an updated assembly in the past that has metal pivots on the sash and a better shoe that does not seem to break. My house trim is all white and the only available assemblies are now tan, hence the reason for wanting to rebuild my existing assemblies.
User submitted photo of channel balance and attachments.
Profile picture of Mike
Can you please give us the length of the channel portion of your balance?
The length of the channel portion of the balance is 25.06 inches.
Profile picture of Mike
It appears you will need an S751-25 Channel Balance with a 24R stamp option.

However, please weight your window sash and give us the weight so we can make sure.
The weight of a sash is 15 pounds.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Okay, you need the S751-25 with the option 24R, that will hold your sash weight.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)