SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Rebuilding My Old Peachtree Screen Door

A handy person from Ohio says:
I found the rollers I need to replace for this door on your site, but I also need to replace the bug guard. Unfortunately all I find is a white bug guard and my screen door is a tan/beige color. The first picture I attached is the detail from inside the door, the second is a picture of the whole screen, and the last picture is of the upper corner showing the top of a wheel and the broken bug guard. Any help?

-Sean
User submitted a photo of screen door hardware.
PEACHTREE ALI-CLASS A TYPE B N4386
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Sean. Check out our 59-050. Could that work? I can't really tell. If you don't think it will, then I'll need to see a sample of your existing bug flap as removed from the door. I'll need to see its shape and know its dimensions, so an undamaged shot of its profile would be ideal.
A quick learner from Ohio says:
Thanks for responding Dave!

That is the one I found (59-050), but it appears to be bright white, and my door is darker than that. Unfortunately what you see in that last shot of the bug guard I posted is what the whole thing looks like. I will try to get it off the door (as it isnt doing any good anyway) and get a picture of it to post tonight. Worst case I could always repaint the door if necessary!

Do you also believe that by replacing the rollers it will fix the balance issues and help to keep it on the track? I would think new rollers that can be adjusted would help that.

-Sean
Profile picture of Dave
I recommend that you tighten up the screws in the corners. I think they are reverse thread, though I could be wrong. Otherwise, new wheels should help. I also think you should double check the dimensions on the 59-050 and see if it matches. If it does, I would use it. The coloring on your original could have dulled with age.
A quick learner from Ohio says:
Good advice.

I can tell you that they are reverse thread because I tried to take out the current guard last night. The problem I had is there are two "pins" in at the 4 corners binding the pieces together. They don't screw out and I couldnt see how to remove them and don't know if I could really get them back in. The side pieces block the rail the guard slides in to, so if I can remove them, I could get it out and put the new one in. Any advice on removing the old guard and if I even need to take those "pins" out (or try to pop them out)?

The pin I am talking about is in the upper right of the last pic I posted.
Profile picture of Dave
Sounds like those are the pop rivets. I recommend using a 1/8" drill bit to drill them out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)