SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Regular Window Crank vs Thorn Window Crank

A quick learner from Colorado says:
What is the difference between the 39-003 thorn window crank and a regular window crank - other than the 8 1/4 vs 9 inch crank length?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The Thorn operator has 3, #12 tapped threaded holes. To install this operator you must install the screws through the window and into the operator. The regular operators have a non threaded hole to allow the screw to pass through the operator and into the window frame.
A home owner from Pottstown, PA says:
I need a few new cranks. I bought cranks in the past from an outfit down in Maryland. They worked for about a week and then the gears broke. Is your crank a robust design that can take the torque put on it when cranking the window open? What are your materials and have you beefed up the weak areas in the original Thorn design?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately the original operators are no longer available. You are correct the after market operators are not as robust as the original operators. What I suggest you do is make sure your window opens and closes freely without a window operator installed. Before you install the new operator check to see if there is any paint or dirt which could impede the operation of the window from opening and closing. Also use some lubrication to help the operation of the window.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)