Removal and Installation Tips

A handy person from Crofton, MD says:
For the life of me, I can figure out how to get my old broken roller assemblies disconnected from the sliding door frame. I've gotten all the way to removing the foot frame section with the two roller assemblies, but hammering, twisting, bending, or wedging the remaining hooked wedge piece avails nothing. What's the trick to getting that blasted thing out of the track and does the same process in reverse work for putting the new roller assemblies back in?

Thanks a million!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
For an aluminum patio door normally you must remove all the doors to the out side of the house begining with the stationary door. There should be some clips or brackets on the back of the door and possibly toward the middle where the both doors meet top and bottom of track. Slide the door over toward the middle and lift up and out. Next the sliding door lift up and remove from track. To get to the rollers you must remove the bottom rail of the door. Remove the corner screws on sides of the door. next with a block of wood try to tap off the bottom rail becarefull you don't damage the glass. Take note on some doors to remove the bottom rail you might have to remove the side rails first, but you wont know till you try. After you have removed the bottom rail the rollers should be exposed enough to where you can see they are held in. It could be held in with a screw, some type of clip or a hook.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, I think I know the problem; like Dave said, with door removed take the door frame screws out and knock off the bottom rail to remove wheels. Sounds like you are trying to remove wheels intact in frame, when they might slide out the open end.
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.