SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Remove window pane

A handy person from Pennsylvania says:
I have Alcoa single hung windows that were installed in my home in 1996. We live in a condo project and some owners are replacing their windows with new double hung windows. Is there a way that I can take the window, the portion that slides up and down, out of the frame work and replace it with one that is not broken from a neighbors house. I ask this for the top and bottom windows. The top is fixed and does not slide down.

Thank you
Nick
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Nick. For future reference, the part of the window that slides up and down is called the sash. As long as the sizes are the same, you should be able to switch the top and bottom sashes. Just double check to be sure.
A handy person from Pennsylvania says:
I knew there was a name for it, but couldn't think of it. Anyway the top window/sash is fixed and does not slide up or down. Only the bottom sash slides and tilts out. I figured out how to remove the bottom sash, but cannot figure out how to replace the top. It appears to be permanently in place.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. I believe you have what they call a single hung window, which is what many builders use in construction. Unfortunately, these windows are made in such a way that the top sash cannot be removed. The frame of the sash will remain, so you will need to remove the vinyl glazing strips in order to take out the glass unit. See our video below on how to replace window snap in glazing for some assistance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)