Removing Tilt latches from a Patriot/Plygem single hung

A contractor from Maryland says:
Hello -

I need some advice relative to removing the surface mounted finger/tilt latches without breaking the top cover. Also, the original windows have been installed fairly tight. Is there a solution to the Patriot/Plygem single hung windows that would be able to operate smoother? For instance, they are hard to latch? Is that something to do with the spiral balance?

Thanks,

Alan
A customer submitted photo of a window latch.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Alan! The first thing you will want to do is remove the sash. Raise the sash a few inches, tilt it in towards you, and twist the sash to release it from the pivot shoes. Now, with a flat tip screw driver and hammer, knock out the top guide by placing the screw driver behind the the guide and tapping it out from the sash end.

You say the sashes are tight in the frame, so with the sash out, wipe the inner track clean and then give it a spray of silicone. I would also look at the track and see if there is an adjusting screw located between the top and bottom sash. If there is, turn the screw counter clock wise to loosen the master frame of window.

I hope this helps you! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I would be happy to help.
Reply to Thread
* Mandatory fields
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
26-263 : Top Tilt Latch, Left Hand
26-263
Price: $2.45
Top Tilt Latch, Left Hand
26-264 : Top Tilt Latch, Right Hand
26-264
Price: $2.45
Top Tilt Latch, Right Hand
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
Video
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch