SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Removing a broken latch

A quick learner from Winnsboro, SC says:
Gentleman, I am in need of some advice. How do I separate the corners of this window without breaking the window pane? I have enclosed some photos. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I have looked at your how to videos but they don't cover this type of situation. Thanks in advance for your help!
User submitted photos of storm window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
To remove the latch, you need to remove the press-fit corner key (something like our 95-201) using the same method as our video below. There is no need to drill out the notches, since Phillips didn't notch their corners. Let me know if that helps.
Thank you for your response. I have looked at the video you suggested, however I cannot remove the window glass as the screen in the video is removed. There is not enough edge of the frame to tap the frame apart. Any suggestions? In one of the photos there is something that looks like a ping. It is visible in the first and last pictures as you have them posted. It can be seen across from the gray fuzzy channeling. Will it not have to be drilled out?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Yes, You might need to drill those pins out first. The reason being that nylon corners that are pinned are almost impossible to remove without drilling. For metal corners, you have a better chance of tapping frame apart without drilling. Take a look at another video, which I've posted here. That will also help you in this repair. Take you time and try not to brake the glass. Good luck!
Thank you Dave I have a better understanding now. I think I will drill the pin and then try to separate it. Thank you for your advice!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)