SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Removing hardware for coil balances

A home owner from Mountain City, TN says:
Just watched your video on replacing coil balance. When we opened up the channel, found that there is no opening to slide anything up to that will allow removal of parts. It is a solid channel top to bottom. Our coil detached and the window will not stay up. This is a CertainTeed window in our kitchen and is the one used up and down the most. The coil balance say 7JB on it. How do we get the parts out of a solid channel? My wife says to take a dremel tool to create an opening on the channel large enough to remove the plastic slider. Really need your help on this problem. Also what parts do I need to replace once I have everything out of the channel?

Thank You,
Stephen
User submitted photos of window hardware.
User submitted a photo of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Stephen. There are two methods available to you that you can use to remove your pivot shoe. Watch both of the videos below, I think you'll find they're a big help.
As for the hardware itself, see our 15-087 housing pivot, Series 180 coil spring, and 16-024 bracket, if you need it.
A home owner from Mountain city, TN says:
Thank you so very much for the videos. They make clear how to get the pivot shoe out of the track. However I see nowhere in either video where it tells me how to insert the new pivot show with the coil weight back onto the frame of the window. How do I attach the coil to the pivot shoe and to the window frame? I appreciate the guidance you give me as it makes this job doable for a novice like me.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
To insert the balance and balance shoe, you would basically just reverse the process. You would put the coil inside the shoe, then place the shoe inside the jamb. There is a bracket at the top of the track (16-024) to which you would attach the coil spring, as shown in the diagram below.
Diagram of 15-087
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)