SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Removing patio door wheels

A home owner from tucson says:
Any idea on how to get these out? The spring wire loops around the top, then is connected again on the right side. Can I just cut the wire?
A customer submitted photo of a door roller.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
My first thought is whether or not can the door be taken apart. If not, this is a little tricky.

Please take a look at our 84-016. Do you think this matches your roller? If so, this type of roller has two holes that clip onto the die cast patio corner. You will have to spread the holes apart in the wheel housing with a small screw driver to act as a wedge to spread the holes. You would also use a long nose pliers to pull out the wheel.
No, that part doesn't match the existing roller. I'm trying to avoid taking the door apart; the only screw is above the corner on each side. If I'm able to pull the existing wheel out, do you think I can just pop a comparably sized replacement in?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
In that case, it might be something closer to our 84-094 screen door roller. If you think that might be it, also check out our video tutorial on how to replace it.

As for replacing it with something comparatively sized, we recommend that all hardware be replaced with what was installed originally.

That could well be the roller! Do I have to take the door apart to remove / install?
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure you have enough room to pull it out properly. The appropriate way to uninstall these rollers is shown in the video; you may have to take apart your door.
A quick learner from Tucson says:
After watching the video I was able to get them out without taking the door apart; all it needed was a small needle-nose pliers, and a mini-flat screwdriver to pry. I'll be ordering two of your 84-094's! Thanks!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)