Removing the pastic piece across Andersen Sash, 11600-17

A quick learner from Derwood, MD says:
how the heck is the plastic piece across top of 11600-17 supposed to come out? we managed to get one out and see that there is a metal box on each side of top-- sash balance box, i guess. and how is that sash balance box supposed to come out?

thanks!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
You're right, on the Andersen double-hung windows there is a top plastic cover piece that covers the balance box.

First, lower the top sash to expose the screws that hold the cover in place. Remove the screws. After the screws are removed you will have to bend down from the middle of the cover and slip it out on one of the sides. Now, to remove the nylon string pin on the one side of the sash, you will have to remove the left hand side jamb liner. Only remove the bottom half, which is also held in with screws.
A quick learner from st louis mo says:
I have andersen narroline double hung windows (27) of them. Is there any way to lubricate the sash balances without removing the top plastic cover?, such as spray silicon into the string housing opening or ?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience.

Take a look at our new tutorial video on replacing an Andersen Window Balance:

Removing the top jambliner wasn't too difficult of a task. You're right, it would be nice to be able to lubricate the balances without doing it, but I think if you try to remove the top jambliner you'll notice it isn't too difficult.

Just make sure you have a few screwdrivers handy.
How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.