Repair Alcoa Windows

A home owner from Elgin says:
Hi,
I am looking for the replacement parts of my ALCOA windows which were installed in 1996.
There are a couple problems with those windows.
The white cases of the spiral balances are broken into pieces. So windows are hard to open. One window can not stay open.
Some tilt latches are gone.
The sealing status is bad. By now, the cold wind can go inside through the edges or joint parts of the windows.
What kind parts do I need to buy to fix those problems?
Is the sealing problem repairable?
Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. We should be able to help, but before I make any recommendations it's important to note that Aloca used many different kinds of parts over the years. There are a few possibilities I can name off the top of my head but I highly recommend that you compare your installed hardware to our product dimensions and information to confirm that everything matches. There is no specific line of hardware only used for Alcoa; like many window manufacturers, they mostly used generic parts.

Now, let's start with the spiral balance. The outer tubes don't affect their function necessarily. If your windows can't stay open, the springs have lost their tension either because they are old and shot, or simply because they need to be recharged. Since your outer tubes are broken, anyway, I figure you want to replace them altogether so let's just assume the springs are shot and the whole balance needs to be replace. Start with our Series 600 spiral balance, which has an outer tube diameter of 5/8". If that matches the diameter of your current balance's outer tube, you should be good to go. All you have to do now is choose the correct length and tip color, which represents spring strength. If your old balances don't have a colored tip, you'll need to weigh your sash on a scale. Please also note our balances have metal tubes, not plastic.

As for the tilt latches, you could have our 26-244 and 26-243, but this is just an educated guess. Like I mentioned above, you will need to confirm that the dimensions and style are the same. If not, we will need to see pictures of one of your old latches. I will also need detailed dimensions.

Finally, for the seal of your sash frame, I recommend going to your local hardware store. They should be able to recommend a good grade caulking.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.