SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Repair of Patroit Tilt Windows

A home owner from AVONDALE, PA says:
I have 6 Patroit tilt-in windows (double hung, but only lower window operates-upper is fixed) that need help. They all use Spiral balances with 5/8" tube, 600 series, red tip, 37" long. Several have broken nylon Pivot Shoes that appear to be 17/32" Thick and a blue aluminum piece at the bottom. One of the shoes the Phillips head screw thread is stripped and won't tighten and hold the spiral balance. Before I order parts, I need to determine if my wife and I can remove and install the window in order to access the shoes and the balances. Please forward me any instructions on how to REMOVE and INSTALL the shoes that I have and how to REMOVE & INSTALL the window from the casing/frame/sash. The one window with the broken shoe, fell out of the sash when I went to lubricate the channel that the shoe rides in. It was a real dog trying to get the window back into the casing/frame/sash and it is now locked closed and awaiting info. from you before I order the parts. Do you recommend any special tools to install the shoes or to adjust the spiral balance? I will also need screen aluminum pins with springs and plastic caps to replace the missing pins on two screens. Please advise with part numbers and cost for all items.
Regards,
Jim D.
user submitted photo of balance
A home owner from AVONDALE, PA says:
My last try at forwarding photos to you. These should be less than 3MB for all three photos of my 5/8" spiral tilt window balances with two pins at the bottom and the broken Pivot Shoe with blue aluminum base and 17/32" thick. Please advise how I can replace the shoe(s), how do I replace the balances, and how do I remove and reinstall the window to gain access to the shoes and balances. I also need replacement screen pin assemblies (see photo). I'm interested in buying any special tools to remove and install these parts. I'm handy around the house and am trying to determine how difficult and what kinds of special tools are needed, or should I get a contractor to do the work?

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon, Jim. Thank you for your patience and thank you for posting on the discussion board.

If you're relatively handy, this may be a task you can accomplish on your own. We will try to help you identify what parts will work as replacements, and what tools you will need in order to carry out this exercise.

For tools, take a look at the 75-006 Charging Tool for Tilt Windows and the 75-069 Jamb Spreaders.

The pins look similar to the Swisco 70-008 Plunger Pin and the 70-009 Plunger Pin. Also, take a look at the Swisco 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe.
A home owner from Avondale, PA says:
I measured the existing shoe in the window and it is thicker than 1/2", that's why I thought it was 17/32" thick. The shoe in my window also has a blue metal (appears to be aluminum) piece at the bottom of the shoe, but the plastic piece than the window fits into is white. Do you really think I have a 1/2" shoe?
Profile picture of Paul
It is hard to be certain without seeing the shoe removed from the sash. Can you remove the pivot shoe and get a measurement?
A home owner from Avondale, PA says:
That's kinda tough since I don't have the jamb spreader yet. Is there a way to remove the shoe without the jamb spreader?
Profile picture of Paul
Yes, you can remove your pivot lock shoe without a jamb spreader. Take a look at this discussion on the removal and installation of pivot lock shoes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)