Replace lock - door thickness.

A handy person from Cooper City FL says:
Are standard sliding doors Less than 1 1/8 thick? Measuring my door with digital calipers, I get 1.172" thick, just shy of 1 3/16".

I picked up a big box store replacement and it barely fit (needed longer screws), key lock doesn't contact, and striker mechanism is so flimsy it bends when locked door is pulled.

My concerns are:
1. Is yours sturdier (appears so based on three ply striker)
2. Will it fit if the door is thicker than 1 1/8" (or am I using the wrong measurement, e.g. 2x4)

Thanks!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I'm not sure what you purchased, or what you originally had, but I see you were looking at our 82-008. This style of handle is specifically made for 1" thick doors. You would need to re-use parts from the old handle to get a new set to work. I believe the thicker aluminum patio door you have isn't manufactured anymore since the advent of newer vinyl patio doors.
How to install the 82-002K sliding door handle key plug
How to install the 82-002K sliding door handle key plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a sliding glass door handle set
How to replace a sliding glass door handle set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.