SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replace patio sliding glass door handle

A contractor from Philadelphia says:
Good Morning,

I am looking for a replacement sliding glass door handle. If possible I would like to replace the handle with something that is easier to pull.

I forgot to get measurements of the distance between the screws, if you need that, let me know.

User submitted photos of the existing sliding door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hi Peter,

The exterior handle is poorly designed, we constantly hear from users how hard it is to grip. You may want to consider inspecting the door track for damage and installing new rollers. With new rollers and a clean and straight door track, the door will open and close much easier.

Without the measurement of the distance between the installation hole centers, it's tough to recommend a replacement. Take a look at 82-021, it might fit the existing holes. Also take note, I'm not sure if the pictured handle set is the original handle that came with the patio door. If you want, send us some photos of the door with the handle removed and the edge of the door to see if it originally had a "mortise" latch.
A contractor from Philadelphia says:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response.

I have confirmed that the distance between screws is indeed 4 15/16" (good guess).

the homeowner is only interested in replacing the outside handle....that's the one with the horrible hard to grab grip.

What you found would work great I think, as the outside handle is a bigger profile then what they have currently. Only issue is it's white, and what they have on the outside is brown. Any chance they make this handle in brown??

Let me know when you can.

All The Best,

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks, Pete. If you just need the outside handle, perhaps you can consider our 82-042? This is the same as the handle that comes with the 82-021, except it's black. Would that be better?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)