Replace the knife shoe or the whole window balance?

A home owner from colorado says:
I have several of these windows where the channel balance knife shoe (part 15-014)has broken. On a couple of them both sides are broken and the top portion of the window falls down unless the window is latched closed. Do I need to replace the channel balances (19") on these windows or can I just replace the shoes?
User submitted photo of their channel balance knife shoe.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Generally a broken balance fitting is a sign of needed replacement balances, however if the balances are less than 5 years it may be worth trying to replace the fittings. If you do decide to replace just the fittings, you will need to clamp down the balance cord in a vice so that it does not jump out of the block and tackle. Take care, it is under a lot of pressure. Be sure to wear safety glasses.
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.