SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replaceing old spring balance

A home owner from Terrell, texas says:
I just bought an old house, circa 1950's, that has springs(no tubes) for balances. how do I decide what balance I need to replace them. The top has a bracket where a screw goes through a spiral of the spring that has been turned up. the bottom just hooks over the edge of the lower window mullen (spelling). I'm sure it will need to be a 5/8" tube.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure. Could I see a couple pictures of your existing hardware? That will help us narrow down the list of possible replacements. Thanks!
A home owner from Terrell, texas says:
The window frame is 54" tall with the sliding, bottom sash being 27". The balance spring released is 36". that is about it. The a screw holds the spring into the channel at the top and hooks into the sliding sash at the bottom. I want to replace these with a SWISCO balance. What I need to know is what size and do I need the adapters that hook into the bottom of the balance? If this was a modern no tip window what would you recommend?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I can recommend our S500-27 balance with a 17-012 bracket for your bottom wood sash. This combination has been used by wood window manufacturers as far back as the 40's. I cannot guarantee it will work but I think it may be the best place to start.
A quick learner from Terrell, Tx says:
I have ordered a pair of balances, clips and charging rod. I will let you know what happens
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! I hope it works out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)