SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement 1/2" balance mechanism channel including top and shoe (block and tackle)

A handy person from Mt Vernon IL says:
I have acquired 25 used aluminum windows that I plan to install in an older downtown building remodel. The balance mechanisms all need to be replaced. I don't see a distinction between 104 and 105 shoes. The tops on mine appear to be 19-005. The balance rod is stamped 2340, so I assume that 23" is the length. Just guessing I believe mine are either the 380 or the 385 series. I may have you send me one to verify the proper unit before I order 50 units. Thank you so much. I look forward to your response.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. When you say 104 and 105 shoes, do you mean our 15-004 and 15-005? If so, the difference is in their depths. The 15-004 has a 1-3/32" depth, while the 15-005 has a 1" depth. Take a look at the images below to see what I mean.
Detail of 15-004
Detail of 15-005

Just by eyeballing yours, I think you might have the 15-004 shoe, but double check the depth just to make sure.
A handy person from Mt Vernon IL says:

Yes, the depth matches the 15-004 shoe. (Don't ask where I got 104 and 105. Not a clue) The top had 200-887
Stamped on it and the shoe had 110 stamped on it.

The measurement of 15/16" appears to be 7/8" on mine. May be caused by a slight inward bow.

So, does the Series 385 appear correct?

Some of the windows take a 2430 and others are 2530. If need be, is the quantity discount apply to multiple lengths/styles?

Thanks so much

P.S. Does all info here show up for public perusal?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the information, Kent. In that case, I think our Series 385 is the best choice. If you have two different stamps, though, then you should double check the lengths on each balance just to make sure everything is correct.

Our bulk discounts do not apply to multiple lengths and styles, unfortunately.

All Discussion posts are public, yes, but personal information is removed or hidden.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)