Replacement Caldwell Channel Window Balance

A home owner from San Francisco, CA says:
Hi There,

I need some help selecting some replacement 1/2" Channel Window Balances (Non-Tilting). I can't find any manufacturer information on the actual window sash but the manufacturer of the original channel balances is Caldwell. Included are a bunch of photos (I'd rather provide more information than less).

The actual plastic hardware on each end of both balances is IDENTICAL however, the lengths of the metal sections are 20" and 29". The shorter 20" metal bar has markings of what I think are 19 9 30 FD Caldwell HOWEVER, I just pulled the other Channel balance from the other side and it reads 18 4 JS.

The longer 29" bar reads 28 4 JL Caldwell.

I believe the top piece is part # 19-002 but I'm having difficulty identifying the bottom piece. I believe it is either #15-001, #15-002, or #15-003 but my piece appears to be more triangular than either of the first two.

Thank you in advance for all of your help in identifying this hardware!
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Before we address the stamps, I'll have to figure out what bottom shoe your balance has. Please look at the measurements for our 15-001, 15-002 and 15-003 bottom shoes and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-1/8" deep and 1" deep, respectively, while the 15-003 is 1-3/16" deep and has an entirely different shape in and of itself. Which measurement more closely resembles your own shoe? Once you tell us, we will be able to determine what Series your balance is.

Next, I will need to know the weight of the sash which is being supported by the shorter balances. This will help me figure out the appropriate option to select.
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response. The other shorter balance reads 18 4 JS Caldwell. Does that help you determine the weight of the sash or the tension necessary to support it?

As far as the depth of the shoes, mine seems to be 1-1/8".

Thank you!,
Brian
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for getting back to us, Brian. While the stamps are directly related to the window sash weight, the number itself is no indication of what the weight actually is. Since you have two different balance with two different stamps in the same window, it's best if you remove it and place it on a scale for the exact weight.

Can you also confirm the length of the metal channel for the shorter balance? If it's 20" long, it shouldn't have a stamp that begins with 18. Please confirm the length and let me know what the sash weight is and we can work from there!
Hi Paul,

I took both window sashes out and weighed each one as directed. I also remeasured the balances.

WINDOW 1)
The shorter balances (metal channel only) is 19" metal end to metal end, HOWEVER, the other balance from this same window is 20" so apparently someone seems to have messed up the original installation and mixed up the balances. The corresponding sash weighs 18lbs. The balances that came out of this particular window read 18 4 JS Caldwell and 19 9 30 FD Caldwell.

WINDOW 2)
The longer balances (metal channel only) is 29" metal end to metal end and have identical hardware on both balances. The corresponding sash weighs 13lbs. The balances have the markings 28 4 Caldwell LL.

Hopefully that gives us a better idea of the correct replacement hardware we need.

Thanks again for your help!
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for the information. For the first window, I would go with the 20" balances, because the stamp for the 19" balances doesn't correspond to your window weight. With that in mind, I'd go with our S390-20 channel balance with a 1950 stamp option.

For your second window, I'd suggest the S390-29, but once again the weight of the window doesn't correspond with your stamp. Can you confirm that that window weights only 13 pounds? That's very light for such a long balance.
Hi Paul,

I re-weighed both windows and this is what I found:

The first window weighs 18-19lbs.

The second windows weighs 13-14lbs.

What does the 1950 stamp option mean? I know the house was built in the 50's although the windows seem much newer than that.

Thanks,
Brian
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you. That's very odd. I'm not sure why such a light window had the 2840 stamp. That stamp supports window sash weights of 19 through, and including, 26 pounds. Have you ever had trouble lifting the window? Are you sure you aren't getting the two windows mixed up?

If you're positive that the window for the longer balance is 13 to 14 pounds, then I recommend that you choose 2820, which can carry a sash window weight of 12 through, and including, 16 pounds.

The 1950 stamp option, to answer your question, can carry a window sash weight range of 18 through, and including, 21 pounds.

Please keep in mind that the weight range information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.