Replacement Sliding Glass Door Roller Assy

A quick learner from Venice, FL says:
Would like to buy replacement roller cartridge for our sliding glass doors. I cannot determine which replacement to buy. Apparently, I have to disassemble the door to remove the old roller. Can you assist.

Present rollers are Nylon (1-11/16" x 3/4" wide).
User submitted photos of a patio door roller.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I think we can assist, yes. based on these pictures I think our 81-133 could be a good match.
A quick learner from Florida says:
Paul,

You may be correct here. I want to be absolutely sure because (I believe) I will have to remove the bottom rail to be able to remove the wheel assy. Removing the bottom rail means fussing around with the glass in the door -- something I'm more than a bit nervous about. I fear that the glass will shatter leaving me without a door and in a mess.

How sure are you that the 81-133 is correct...?

Thanks...
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I am confident, but of course the only way to be 100% sure is to compare our pictures and dimensions to your own hardware. There could be some wild chance that your roller base is different or specially altered in some way I cannot predict.

To remove the bottom rail, you will need to first lay the door on some saw horses or stable surface like a table. Unscrew the two bottom frame screw, then use a block of wood and hammer to gently knock off the bottom rail. If you aren't comfortable with this project, you may want the help of a local handy person.
A handy person from Florida says:
P,

Thanks again for your assistance. I'm handy enough to remove the bottom rail. What bothers me is breaking the glass and, consequently, having no door or even a door manufacturer from which to obtain a replacement.

I'll think on this before buying or proceeding with the fix. After all, the rollers are working great after I applied a dab of Lithium grease to the bearings.

Best...
A contractor from Florida says:
You do not need to remove the bottom rail to replace the roller assemblies. Simply remove the screw from the side of the door, the one above the hole for the adjusting screw and gently pry the assembly straight out of the bottom.

I find that inserting a small screwdriver into the adjusting slot and pushing down will usually get these started.

The flanges on the end of the assembly nearest the corner fit into slots in the bottom rail.

When you install the new ones, you may need to spread the bottom rail slightly to pop new ones in.

And yes, the 81-133 are the correct parts.

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.