SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement Spiral Balance

A quick learner from Texas says:
I am trying to replace some balances on by 1990s vintage windows. The windows are non tilt and have spiral balances that are 27.5 inches long with blue bushings, The shoe is similar to the 15-142. The tops are attached to plastic pins that protrude through the sash stops. I would like to replace the plastic pins with a metal pin that attaches to the window. Any ideas?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We should be able to help. This sounds like something we can custom make here in the warehouse. Before we begin, can you tell me the diameter of the outer tube? Can you also re-measure the length of the tube? It should end on a whole inch. I would also like you to confirm the weight of the sash these balances support, just in case. Finally, please tell me how many of these you're interested in.
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,

The diameter of the outer tube is 3/8 in. The length is of the tube is 27.5 inches from the top of the tube to the bushing. From the top attachment hole to the bushing is 27 in. The balance shoe is .25 in wide. I don't have an accurate way to measure the weight of the sash. The bushing is blue in color.

Thanks!

Bryon
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks you! Okay, I have a few ideas. First, let's talk about the plastic pins you mentioned before: we don't carry any kind of sash stop like you described, metal or plastic. That said, we feel that using a screw like the 33-016 to hold the spiral balance in place as a more secure application.

As for the balance itself, I'm thinking of using our 3/8" Series 900 spiral balance at 28" long. Many older balances were made on the 1/2", but modern companies began replacing them with balances that end on the whole inch. I would wager that's the situation here. As for the color tip option, I think our Green Tip should work. They don't make a balance in this size with a Blue Tip color option, but I think Green may still work. This can carry sashes weighing 14 through 26 pounds. You may want to confirm that just to be 100% sure.

Of course, this would also be with a 15-142 shoe attached.

If this information looks good to you, let me know how many you need and we can get started!
A quick learner from Lindale TX says:
Hey Tom

That sounds like a good solution. The green tip will work. Is the screw stainless steel? We have a lot of corrosion issues here. The sash stop on the windows is aluminum. The pin protrudes from the window frame through the spring attachment hole then through the sash stop. The screw should work fine as long as it doesn't corrode. It will be covered by the sash stop.

I will need 10 springs and the device that charges the springs.

Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Great! I'll send you a custom order link asap. As for the 33-016, it is stainless steel, yes.
A quick learner from Texas says:
Thanks Tom. I will look for it.
A quick learner says:
Hey Tom. Still looking for the order link.
Profile picture of Tom
Looks like I emailed it to you back on the 5th. I would check your spam inbox just in case. In the meantime, I'll resend it.
A quick learner says:
Thanks Tom!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)