SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement Window Balancer

A home owner from Seattle, WA says:
Hello there-

I have Milgard windows (3'x4') and one of my balances just broke on one side. I took the old balance out and the only markings I saw on it were (38 4 Caldwell). I took measurements and the metal bar is 39", the channel is 5/8" wide at the back and 1/2" wide inside the spring channel.

It looks like I may need to take it out again and look at the shoe assemblies to make sure I get the correct replacement. However, looking at your site it looks like S380-39 with option 3840 is what I will need.

Can you make a recommendation based on the markings that are on the current balance and the measurements I have provided?

Thanks Much!!
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Hi Brian,

Yes, looking at the 38 4 original stamp, you most likely need the 3840 option.

To check, remove the window sash and place it on a scale. A pair of S380-39 balances with stamp 3840 will carry a window sash weight range of 24 through and including 30 pounds.

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.

If you are unsure of the series you selected, please post a few detailed images of the balance fittings with detailed measurements for us to research.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)