SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement balance for Mercer hanging window

A home owner from Portland, OR says:
Good day!

I've been struggling to find a replacement balance for our Mercer hanging windows and was thrilled to stumble on your site! Would you be able to help us identify a matching replacement balance?

The metal casing of the balance is 24" long and is marked with the code "86 23-3 AB5 CMC 1". These dimensions, along with the footings, are annotated in the attached graphics as well. Please let me know if I'm missing any important details that would enable the search to finish, and thank you in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Tim
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello, Tim. Based on your pictures and dimensions, I would recommend our S380-24 channel balance with a 2330 option. Let me know what you think!
A home owner from Portland, OR says:
Hi, Paul,

Thank you so much for the research leg-work, that looks like a great match!

As far as the stamp option goes, should we get a precise measurement of the weight of our window before ordering first? (It feels like the window is pretty close to the 20 lb. mark.)

Also, how strongly would you recommend upgrading both balancers (even though only one is physically broken)?

Thank you again for your help here!

- Tim
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Based on your stamp or 23-3, I would recommend our 2330 option. That said, it's always a good idea to weigh your sash just in case.

It's always best to replace both balances at the same time. Replacing only one will still work out, but the new balance will be under extra strain since it has to make up for the weaker older balance. Replacing both at the same time ensures that they work as smoothly and efficiently as possible. You can always keep the old, undamaged balance as an emergency backup option.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)