Replacement balance springs for single-hung window

A home owner from Palm Harbor, Florida says:
Hello! I live in central Florida. The window in the spare bedroom was difficult to open, until my son forced it, and then it wouldn't open at all. I removed the balance springs, which appeared to be rusty, and observed that the "ear" on one of the plastic shoes was broken off. I need to order two replacement balance springs, but after looking at your selections, cannot determine which ones are required. My balance springs appear to be 17 inches long X 1/2 wide. Stamped on each spring lengthwise is 16 9, followed by "PL" in a much smaller font, followed by "BSI" stamped sideways. I cannot determine the window manufacturer. A "FMA Keystone" label is on the window, but I think that's a measure of impact resistance. (I live in hurricane country) Thanks for your assistance.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! It's tough to make out what you have based on your pictures, but it could be either our S380-17 or S385-17. The only difference between these two is the size of the bottom shoe. You'll need to measure yours to confirm the best match. I also recommend weighing your sash on a scale to confirm the best spring strength option.
Hi, Tom and thanks for the quick reply! I looked at the measurements for the two bottom shoes and then measure mine. I don't have a micrometer, and my steel ruler is only graduated into 16ths, (and I don't know if I could even SEE a 32nd of an inch) but my bottom show appears to be just a tad OVER 1 and 1/16 inch, so I think I need the S385-17. Is that correct? Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Yep, I agree. The Series 385 sounds like it's the best option.
Hello. The replacement parts arrived in a timely manner, and I installed them after reviewing the video several times. The window now slides up and down freely, but won't stay open. I compared the old balance with the new balance, and they appear to be identical, except for the engraving. I removed the sash and weighed it (on a digital bathroom scale) and the sash appears to weigh 25 pounds. If I had to guess, I mistakenly ordered balance with a spring that's not heavy enough. Please tell me what part I need, and how I can exchange the ones I have. Thanks!
Hello. I ordered the series 385's and they arrived in a timely manner. I compared the old balance springs with the new ones and they appear identical, with the exception of different markings. After watching several YouTube videos, I installed the new balance springs, and everything was OK, EXCEPT the window won't stay open. I weighed the window sash on my digital bathroom scale, and it appears to weigh about 22.0 pounds. What did I do wrong, and how can I fix this? Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. If your sash is 25 pounds, your balance would need to be custom made with a specially strong spring strength. This would be the 1660 option, which can carry 22 through 25 pounds. I can send you a custom balance order link immediately, if you'd like, I just need to know how many you need.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.