SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement closer hook

A handy person says:
I need a replacement hook that will fit the spindle nut for this velux sky light. I use a pole with a open hook to operate it. Can you offer any suggestions?
User submitted photos of a skylight operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at our 39-551. This may be a match, however it is designed to work with the newer style Velux skylight operator. The newer style differs in that the operator itself is female while the 39-551 is male. I am not sure which version yours is, or whether the spline I see can be popped out or not. See what you think.
A quick learner says:
The spline is a worm gear (all one piece). Does the hook portion fit the 1/2 inch nut that gets pinned to the spline? If so, is there a way to just buy a hook without a male spline?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I don't believe you'll be able to adapt the new style hook to the old style operator, unfortunately. Velux changed everything up for whatever reason some time ago and the old parts are simply not compatible with the new. I am sorry we cannot offer a better solution.
A handy person says:
I purchased a 39-551 look alike, discarded the male part, drilled out the splines around the inside, put a new hole for the pin. It works great. Thanks for the help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)