SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement folding casement window crank handle

A quick learner from Tewksbury, MA says:
I am looking for a replacement handle for my casement window. The bracket is a ROTO hg04 2004U / 2001 as shown. None of the handles I have seen though seem to match it. The handle has the number 2108 on the back of it. See attached pictures. Thanks.

User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Jared. Have you seen our 39-224 Fold-Down Crank Handle with a 5/16" Hex? Do you think this could be used as a replacement?
A quick learner from Downingtown PA says:
I have the exact same crank with the 2108 stamped on it. It is not hex, it is a spline. Manufacturer of the window is American Craftsman. Design is poor.
Can I use a "Tee" and mount directly to the spline?
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for posting! If you have a spline instead of a hex, then you likely do not have the same handle, despite the stamp. I'd be happy to help you find a T-handle that matches, though. What is the size of the spline? You can also browse through our Replacement Window Operator Accessories Section and see if you can find a replacement there.
A home owner from Taunton, MA says:
Tom from SWISCO,
I also require a new crank identical to (Downington, PA post above) - #2108 stamp, American Craftsman casement window purchased in 2010. I concur that the design is inferior, it even cracked in the same place. Could you please confirm the correct replacement handle ? Thanks,
Profile picture of Tom
Does your crank have a spline, as well? If so, then I can't say for sure what you have. We have many crank handles with that style. What is the size of the spline? Could I see a couple pictures of it? That will help us find the right replacement.
A home owner from Taunton says:
Yes Tom, ~5/16" long x ~5/16" wide x 12-tooth spline; (see pic attached). -Ed
User submitted a photo of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Great, how about our 39-205? This appears similar to me but see if you agree.
A quick learner from 11419 says:
Hello, how are you? I am looking for a replacement crank handle for a Roto Bay Window. I was able to come up with a number from the window and I hope it is the model number. It is HG04-2001. The handle itself broke (flimsy aluminum) where the pin runs through it. I have pulled off the entire handle in stages leaving the spline shaft in the mechanism (see pictures). Please let me know if you have this handle available and the shipping to NYC (zip 11419). Thank you and have a good one.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Good afternoon! I've placed you into an existing thread regarding this very same issue. Check out our recommendations above.
A quick learner from Wellesley MA says:
The Folding crank handle 39-205 is a perfect replacement for this 2108 window handle. I just installed mine - just remember that the new one has a grub screw that needs to be backed off! Thought I should write this so the next person who searches for the replacement will know for sure that this is a good replacement! Seems to be steel as well rather than aluminium.
A quick learner from alfred, new york says:
I'm so glad to find Swisco! So much more helpful than the American Craftsmen website!

There is definitely a design flaw here. Thank you thank you thank you for all this information. I'm hoping that I can get the right replacement part for my otherwise perfectly fine window.

After a couple of years of normal use, the crank suffered flimsy aluminum fatigue. Since I have A.C. crank outs in several of my windows, this was distressing!

Thank you for giving me hope that I don't have to replace the whole window!

A home owner from Cherry Hill, NJ says:
Thank you for this info and the follow up that it worked. Never thought I would find these and I just ordered a set.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)