SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement for Old Spiral Balance

A contractor from Gulfport, MS says:
I have tried locally to no availability. These are from the 70's I believe? I need replacements for 4 windows. Was wondering if I could retrofit with one of your series 300 and maybe a x54 bracket. The only problem would be is the original are housed in a plastic tube to allow insertion into the channel. I tried a 25" metal tube balance from a local retailer, after attaching the bottom clip from an original balance, ant could not insert it into the channel without bending it....not good. I know a 27" would be almost impossible to insert. Thanks in advance.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! I have seen this old discontinued balance system before. I recommend that you consider our 5/8" diameter Series 500 spiral balance, as well as either the 17-007 or 17-012 bracket. For length, I think 26" would be the way to go, so our S500-26. We've used this specific setup to replace old wood window balances going back as far as WWII.
A contractor from Gulfport, MS says:
Do you have a plastic tube balance available. The metal tube will be impossible to insert into the window without bending.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid we do not. Our spiral balances are only available with metal tubes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)