SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement for aluminum glass sliding door lock and rollers

A handy person from Alameda, California says:
I need help to replace my aluminum sliding door lock and rollers, I wanted to know what replacement parts should I order for the lock and rollers, thank you very much, your help will be much appreciated.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid we do not carry this handle. We may have a substitute, but before I recommend anything I need you to tell me the distance between the installation holes (measured from the center of each hole).

The mortise lock looks like our 82-218, see how well its dimensions compare. The wheel might be our 81-230, which uses a screw through the face of the door. However you will also need to compare this part to yours to confirm.
A handy person from Alameda, California says:
I already received the rollers that I ordered, item #81-230, The problem I had was removing the pin that attached to the roller, I tried removing it counter clockwise and I could not, is there any trick to remove it?, do I need to remove the bottom frame so I could slide down the old one once removed? Please I need your advice on this one. Thank you very much..

User submitted a photo of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry to hear that our 81-230 did not work. There is another part that may be better, but we do not currently have it in our catalog. We hope to have it soon, and I will let you know when it is available.

As for removing your old hardware, you will need to remove the sliding door panel from the track. I would first remove the screw and axle from the roller. With the axle removed, see if the wheel will drop out of the bottom of the door. If not, you will need to remove the bottom door rail and slide out the roller at the end of the rail.
A professional from California says:
The best way to remove the old wheel is to drill out the small rivet from the opposite side. I usually open my pliers to loosely fit around the star shaped head and set the door flat on the ground with something around the same thickness as the pliers under the other side so it is level. Then tap the axle through the bottom rail. You may have to add something to raise the rail higher than the pliers to get the axle all the way out, but that should get it started.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Please see our new 81-117 for a possibly better replacement.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)