SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement for patio door handles

A home owner from Mass says:
Hi - I need to find replacement door handles with a lock (not keyed is fine) for sliding patio doors. Can you help me figure out what I need. The distance between the top and bottom holes is approximately 4" although it seems as though 3 15/16 would work.
User submitted a photo of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Take a look at our 82-069 and see if this can work for you. This has a 3-15/16" hole spacing.
A distributor from Massachusetts says:
Hi Tom -- Will your 82-211 fit the handles you suggested?

Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The 82-211 could possibly work with the 82-069 but that doesn't necessarily mean that the 82-211 will work on your door. If you want, you can show us a picture of the hole where the mortise lock installs. I would also need to know the size of the hole and the distance between the installation holes. With that information, we can confirm if the 82-211 is a good match or at least find a better solution. Let us know!
A home owner from Massachusetts says:
Hi Paul - here are the pictures, the total size cutout where the mortise lock is 6". Thanks again!
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you. Can you also confirm the distance between the hole centers? That is also a very important dimensions. In the meantime, look at our 82-226 (4-5/8" hole spacing) and 82-227 (5-3/8" hole spacing). If you also need new keepers, look at our 89-020 or 89-021.
Hi Paul - it's 5-3/8", the depth of the door where the keeper goes is 1/4"
Profile picture of Paul
Great! Then do you think the 82-227 can work for you?
I do! I think the only thing is the keeper, there are so many options, what's the best rule of thumb when choosing one? I'm afraid of picking one that's too shallow and the door won't lock.
Profile picture of Paul
Measure the depth of the pocket the door goes into first. Then, typically, you'd also measure the handle, but since you don't have it then we'll need to get creative.

Measure from the end of the door to the screw holes that will hold the handles on and subtract 1/2" where the handle will hit the outside of the pocket. This will give you the depth of the keeper you will need. I know it's a little weird, but that's the trick I use and it has worked well in the past.
A home owner says:
I think this should work. Thank you soooo very much!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)