Replacement handle for American Craftsman 5500 Patio Door

A handy person from Vermont says:
I have an American Craftsman 5500 patio door - is the 82-034 Legacy Handle Set correct for this door??? I think it is, but I want to be sure before I order.....
A customer submitted photo of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I think that the 82-034 Legacy Handle Set should fit the Craftsman Patio door. Looking at your photo, they seem to be a match, aside from the color.

I would also check to see if you would need our 82-218 Mortise Lock.
A contractor says:
I have 4 of these 5500 Series doors that I am looking to replace all the handles and locksets for. It looks like if these indeed are the ones for this set of doors, do you have them in the cheaper aluminum type metal that the original doors came with? At 4 door sets, it would cost over $500.00 to replace everything it seems with what is a premium handle hardware set up.
Thanks for any further info you can provide.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Please take a look at our 82-035 patio door handle set. Do you think you could substitute with this? I believe that these are what the 5500 Series doors come with, and that the brass lock is simply an optional upgrade.
A contractor says:
Yes indeed I think this is the correct information.

Thanks!
A quick learner from Austin, TX says:
My door handles & lock look like the the one above.

The problem is that the lock mechanism is not functioning properly. The other day it just felt like something came loose and now the hock that is supposed to come out to lock, jams up inside the box. I've tried adjusting it etc. and can't seem to get it going again.

Has the lock completely failed, or is there a way for me to adjust it without replacing it? Also, when I tried to remove the mechanism, the darn thing almost dropped inside the door. Do I have to remove the entire door to replace the lock?
A customer submitted image of their patio door lock and handle.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good morning! Thanks for contacting us.

It sounds like the mechanism inside the mortise lock has broken. You might have to replace the whole thing. Before you do, though, I have one thing in mind you might want to try out. Fully remove your patio door handle, but keep the mortise lock in the door. Then, with a flat-head screwdriver, try to manually work the lock and see if it's still having problems. If so, then you will likely have to replace it. If not, then the problem may lay with your handle. Let me know if that's the case and we can work from there.

As for the lock itself, yours looks a lot like our 82-218. I would consider that for a replacement. Just make sure all the dimensions match. Now, when you replace it, there is a real risk of it falling in the door. That's a common problem actually. Our solution is to hold it firmly by the tooth with a pair of pliers. However, you won't be able to do that since your tooth can't come out of the lock. You are just going to have to try your best to get a hold of it with your pliers to make sure it won't fall in. See the video below for more details on how this lock is usually removed.
A quick learner from Austin, TX says:
Thank you Tom!

I tested the mechanism as you suggested. It still didn't work, so I'm ordering a replacement. Also, I watched the installation video you sent too - very, very helpful!

IMPORTANT TRICK - after removing the handles and BEFORE removing the mechanism, put the screws back in the door without the handles. This will prevent the mechanism from falling into the door while removing it or installing its replacement.
Reply to Thread
* Mandatory fields
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
82-034 : Legacy Handle Set with Key Lock, 3-15/16
82-034
Price: $104.45
Legacy Handle Set with Key Lock, 3-1
82-035 : Patio Door Handle Set, 3-15/16
82-035
Price: $23.92
Patio Door Handle Set, 3-15/16"
82-218 : Mortise Lock, Round Face, 3-11/16
82-218
Price: $10.92
Mortise Lock, Round Face, 3-11/16"
How to install the 82-034 Legacy Handle Set
Video
How to install the 82-034 Legacy Handle...
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
Video
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
82-034 Legacy Handle Set Installation
Guide
82-034 Legacy Handle Set Installation
How to maintain a sliding glass door
Guide
How to maintain a sliding glass door