SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Backset on 40-195 lock is different

A home owner from Medford, NY says:
Greetings.
I purchased a Swisco lock. Model# 40-195, through Home Depot, on 12/11/2014, and it was delivered on 12/13/2014.I was pleasantly surprised with the expedience of delivery, Unfortunately the body of the lock width from the exterior frame is tooo short for the interior of my storm door. The replacement locks exterior measurements are correct, but once the lock & bolt is placed into the door, the key cylinder, and shaft bolt openings are not aligned with the opening in the door because the lock casing is too short.Does your company have a lock that meets the specifications of what my door requires?
User submitted photos of a mortise lock.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You're right, that backset is off. I'm not sure if we can supply you with the correct lock, though. Do you know the manufacturer of your door? That might help us locating the correct hardware.
A home owner from Medford, NY says:
The door manufacturuer is American door, which home depot told me is longer in business.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hmmm... I've never heard of American door. I've also looked all over and have been unable to find the exact lockset you have.

We do carry a lockset used by Larsen storm doors. See our 40-211. It's a little different than yours, and I do not know if it will fit, but it has a backset of 1-3/8". It also has some other key differences, such as the key cylinder. If you were to replace the complete lock and trim plate, it might just work. This is just an educated guess, though. I cannot guarantee it. I am sorry we cannot offer a more definitive solution.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)