Replacement lock for PADO LATAO storm door

A quick learner from Washington, DC says:
Hello,

From reading the other threads, my understanding is my PADO LATAO lock is discontinued and the 40-049 appears to be the best replacement. However, I'm unsure what measurements are the most important and whether you think I will need to drill holes or modify the 40-049 in any way. Attached are photos showing rough measurements of my door. I can provide more photos or clarification on request. Let me know if you think this lock will be a workable replacement and what, if any, modifications I need to be prepared to do to install it myself. Thanks so much!

Best regards,
Nate
User submitted photos of storm door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey Nate. In the past I have replaced this exact Pado handle with our 40-049 lockset. You may need to adapt the new handle set to the door, but I'm confident that it should work.

Great to hear! I'll be ordering one soon. Can you detail how I would have to modify the handle set or is it clear enough from the installation video? Thanks!

Well, it depends. I've personally installed the 40-049 in a similar door without any issue, but I've had customers report that it wasn't quite an exact fit--for instance, I've heard of one of the mounting holes not quite aligning and thus it required a new hole to be drilled. I can't say for sure which camp you'll fall in, but it's something to keep in mind. If you do find that the 40-049 is a slightly different size, any alteration you make would depend on how it differs.

Thanks Dave, I've installed the 40-049 and it fits very well. It looks like the 1 of the screw holes for the inside and outside trim plate does not line up correctly, but should be easy enough to drill a replacement. One thing I did notice on the lock was that the 1/2 in screes for the lock set itself seem almost too long and don't tighten the last 2 turns or so. It could be that the hole has lost some of its threading from removing the old lock set, but any advice on how to tighten this just a bit more? Also, I didn't realize until after I ordered it but I was considering using a dual lock that requires the key on the inside as well (rather than the turn knob). I don't see the 40-049 with this included, but do you carry a replacement for the lock mechanism that I could change out myself? Thanks again
Thanks for getting back to us, sorry again for the wait. For the stripped out screw holes, you might need to use slightly larger screws. I would bring the old ones in to a local hardware store and see what size they recommend.

As for the key lock on the inside, I'm afraid that's not something we can provide. Having a key lock on the inside and outside is considered a fire hazard in many states.
A home owner from Aurora oh says:
My door is similar. I find that it locks but won't unlock unless I come at it from outside. I noticed that both tiny screws the hold the front of the plate hand on, are gone. They are very small. Do you know their size? I think I would like to replace them first and see it that fixes the problem. If not, then I will have to have a handyman come install a new one.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named doorscrew.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to say that I don't know what size screws might have been used on your original handle set. For that information, I suggest contacting the original manufacturer of the door.

How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.