SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement of spiral balances and possible shoes

A handy person from chicago IL says:
Thanks for your help!

I have Alcoa single hung windows that have problem spiral balances, either locked up after 6 in of travel or making noise when closing the window. I have included two pictures of the balance. It is 29" long (plastic only) and I believe has a yellow color identifier (in picture). The width is close to 3/8"as best that I can measure it in the window.

Alcoa windows are no longer available and I can't find direct parts. Can you recommend the proper replacements along with the tools I need to replace them.

There is one window that just pops up when the locks are released. I assume the shoe is not holding right. I have a picture of the top part of the shoe. The bottom sash rotates forward for removal but I have been hesitant to move forward in case I make the situation worse, without parts to repair.

Just let me know what you think I should order.

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Robert. It definitely sounds like you need new balances. Take a look at our S600-29 to start out. The outer tube diameter is the important detail, and for this balance it is 5/8". If your outer tube measures 5/8" or 9/16" then you should be good to go. I also think you might want the Red Tip option, but you can always weigh your sash to be sure. As for the pivot shoe, see our 15-046. This is the newer style that Alcoa uses. Just make sure the sizes line up.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)