SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement velux operator

A handy person from El Dorado Hills, CA says:
I am looking for a Velux replacement operator for my skylight that was original to my home built in 1984. The inside dimensions of the window frame are 36"x38" (not sure if these measurements would be helpful in finding a part match). The existing operator looks like your product 39-405, but the installation holes on my operator are 7 7/8" on center, not 8 1/8". The shoes from my original operator are gone. Would the shoes on 39-405 be the same size as a Velux from 1984 and would 39-405 be a suitable replacement for my window?

Thank you!
Nate
User submitted photos of a roof vent operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hello, Nate. This might be tricky. Velux operators are no longer manufactured and parts for these windows are hard to come by. Your best hope may be to try and retro fit the 39-405 into the casing of your window. The hole you say are not exact, but they are close. Now, I can't guarantee that it will work, but it is our closest match. As for the shoes, you will need to look over the existing track in the window and compare to the shoe measurements we show on the 39-405 page. See if the shoes will fit your existing track. You will also need to order a new handle or adapter to fit into the new operator. See our 39-551, 39-550, and 39-555.
A handy person from El Dorado Hills, CA says:
Thank you, Dave. I believe your 39-405 operator will fit within the existing casing of the window in the same spot of the original operator. I took out the existing track and the inside dimension is 3/8". The shoe on 39-405 is 3/8" as well. Is the shoe expected to be a 'snug fit' in the track or will this create resistance/drag during extension or retraction?

Thanks again!
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I just took one of our Velux operators out of stock and measured the shoe. I would say it's no larger than 3/8" in diameter so it should fit.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)