Replacement sliding door lock - Pat 3596954

A home owner from Michigan says:
The lock on my sliding glass door is broke. I'm looking for a replacement. Local stores here do no carry this part. While searching online, I came across your site. I want to send a picture to make sure I'm about to order the right part. I'm looking at part number 82-214 on your site. I think that's the right one.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Ken
User submitted photo of their sliding glass door lock part.
Stamp (top image)
PATENT NUMBER 3,596,954

Stamp on reverse side (bottom image)
CANADIAN PATENT NUMBER 919213
PATENTED 1973
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

I had the product pictures of the 82-211 and the 82-214 redone to show more detail. I was not sure which one of these two latches match up to your original latch. Take a look at each product picture (you may have to hit the 'refresh' button on you Web browser to update the image you see). Match the measurements of your original latch to the dimensions found in the product picture.

Let me know if one of these latches match yours.
A quick learner from San Francisco says:
Dear Swisco,

I am looking for a sliding glass door handle replacement similar to the one in the photo. The only indication on the handle is US patent number: 3,596,954 and the Canadian patent number 919213 (patented 1973). Do you still keep this part in stock? I need 2 of them.

Thanks
Martin
Profile picture of Tom
Martin, have you taken a look at the 82-005 Surface Mount Door Handle? Compare it to your original and see if the screw hole centers (4-7/8") match up.

It can be switched to work both left and right on your door:
A quick learner from San Francisco says:
Dear Mike,
Thanks for the swift reply to my e-mail. The 82-005 surface mount door handle that you indicated does not have a lock-out device (visible in red on the photo I sent) that prevents the lock from being opened. Second, the screw hole centers appear to be exactly 5" apart and not 4-7/8" as indicated for 82-005. Hence, even if you do not have an exact replacement part, do you have something that has a lock and the correct placement of the screws.
Thanks
Martin
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
It appears that the 82-005 is the closest possible match that we have, in terms of screw-hole distance. I would recommend that you double check and make sure that it's not a little closer to 4-7/8". As for the locking lever, the 82-005 has one very similar to yours--visible in the above video--just a different style. Unfortunately, it is not sold separately. You would have to purchase an entire handle set to replace.
A home owner from Monterey, CA says:
I purchased the 82-005 for this application, but found that the body of the Swisco product is not quite deep enough for the latch mechanism to clear the door channel. The 82-005 will have to be shimmed about 1/4" to correctly engage the latch fitting.
A home owner from Baker la. says:
need to order canada patent 3596954
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for contacting us! I've placed your post into an existing thread concerning this patent number. Check out our suggestions above and see what you think.
A quick learner from CA says:
I PURCHASED THE 82-211 UNFORTUNALY IS NO AS DEEP AS THE ORIGINAL PART SEE PICURE, ANY SUGGESTIONS , SINCE MY DOOR HAS DOUBLE GLASS . THANKS

P.S. MY ORIGINAL IS CANADIAN PATENT 919213
Profile picture of Tom

Our 82-214B is the same design as our 82-211, but deeper at 1-11/16". Would this be better?

I highly recommend that you review all dimensions we show on our products' store pages before you place an order, just to be sure the part you're buying is a match.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.