SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement spiral balances

A handy person from Savannah, GA says:
Hi. I have these old-school spiral balances that need replacing (see image), they screw into the underside of the wooden sash window (also attached). Can I replace these with either of the 200, 303 or 500 series spiral balances you supply or do I need something completely different?

Jeremy
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, you may be able to get one of our balances to help. Can you confirm the diameter of the tube? I'm thinking it might be 5/8" or 9/16", at which point I would recommend our Series 500 spiral balance. You would also need a clip like our 17-007 or 17-012.
Hi Tom.
Yes it is a 5/8th" tube, non-tilting. Which clip would be best, the 007 or 012? I'm thinking it would likely be the 012 but I can't tell if either has an advantage.

Jeremy
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Well neither is really better than the other, it's just whichever would work best with your sash. The 17-012 is a little longer, while the 17-007 has a little hook at the end.
Many thanks for your help, I have placed my order.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)