SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement tilt-in window parts needed

A home owner from Wareham, MA says:
The latch things in several of my windows got misaligned, so that one was higher than the other. I could not move the latch thing so that I could realign them.

My windows seem to be generic and have no identifying maker's mark.

I need to replace the tracks (the thing with the spring) and latches for one tilt in window pane in three windows. I have two windows with a track that measures 14, and one window that has a track that measures 22". I want to replace both sides of the tracks, for a total of 6 track/slide sets.

This might make no sense at all, but I included some lovely photos for your enjoyment. Please help me figure out what I need to repair the windows.

Thank you,
Phyllis
User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, and for the great pictures! They are very clear and helpful. I think you should consider our Series 860 arrow balance. Specifically, I recommend our S860-22 and S860-14 with black caps and 1-1/4" wide shoes. See if you agree.
A quick learner from Arlington, MA says:
Thanks for the advice. I'm ordering the items that you recommended. But I have one more question. Is there anything I can do when the shoe-thing gets stuck and isn't aligned with the other shoe-thing? That was the problem that caused me to think I needed to purchase new track-things. Is there any kind of preventative maintenance I can do to avoid this problem in the future?
Also,I hope you get the 22-inch arrow balance back in stock soon, because the mosquitoes are having a buffet...

Thanks,
Phyllis
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
There is a needle-sized pin sticking out at the end of the bottom shoe that locks it in the vinyl window jamb. Stick a large flat screw driver in the shoe and turn it to release it. Since it's under pressure, hang on to the screw driver because you will feel the spring pull it up the track. You can spray the track with silicone to help it slide more smoothly, as well.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)