SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement weatherstripping - patio sliding screen door

A home owner from Boston says:
Dear sir, I need part identification help. I want to replace weatherstripping on two sliding screen doors (manufactured by Alumaroll Specialty Co, Sheboygan, WI). It appears they only sell wholesale and in very large quantities.

Weatherstripping is wool pile, width of base 3/16's of an inch; pile height is 3/8's of an inch. I'm fairly confident I can slide the weatherstripping in the channel, but I'm having difficulty locating the weatherstripping. I need about 15 feet, but willing to buy more if that is less than a standard roll.

Can you advise on what type I'll need and where I can buy it?

Sincerely,
B P
A user submited photo of patio door weatherstripping
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I'm not quite sure we have a wool pile that matches those dimensions exactly, but please browse through our Wool Pile Section and see if there is anything there you think may work. We have a few piles that have a 3/16" base, though none have a 3/8" height. Can you confirm that that is your height?

You can buy this wool pile directly on our site. They are sold in minimum lengths of 25".
Thanks Paul, I confirm the wool pile is 6/16" (or 3/8") high [I've measured it multiple times].

I've browsed Swisco's wool pile selection and didn't find any with the specific dimensions I'm seeking. I may have to try the 3/16" base and see if one with the shorter pile height works adequately.

Thanks for you help. If any other reader of this post has suggestions, they are appreciated.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks! I'm glad I could help. Let me know if anything works out for you.
Thanks Paul.

One follow-up question. Swisco's product #58-127, [ dimensions 3/16 x 1/4 (or 2/8)]. I'm looking for 3/16 x 3/8, so the pile is 'only' 1/8 shorter than my original ... sounds like that might work. But I noted #58-127 has a 'fin', would that be problematic, if my original did not have a fin? Is there any obvious downside to using it?

Thank you,
Profile picture of Paul
The fin seal helps to keep out air infiltration. However, there's a possibility that it could make your sash harder to open and close. If your window has a little play in it, it may help, but I find that a good rule of thumb is: if your original woolpile has the fin seal, then replace it with fin seal. If it is a regular pile, then replace it with a regular pile.
Thank you for your guidance and assistance, Paul.

Also, I found your Discussion board was terrifically helpful and contained a trove of great information. Thanks for the very quick responses.

Best wishes,
Profile picture of Paul
Of course! It was my pleasure. If you have any other questions, please let one of us know, and we would be more than happy to help you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)