SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

My window keeps dropping, please help

A quick learner from Linwood, NJ says:
My house was built in the 1950's, I bought it 3.5 years ago, and it came with these beat up CertainTeed vinyl double hung tilt and wash windows. The bottom sash falls violently into my kitchen with a stiff wind. Please help me identify these parts so I can repair my windows.
Thanks
Mike
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Mike. Sounds like a problem with the tilt latch, if the window is falling in. Could you tell me what the distance is between the screw hole centers on your existing tilt latch? Can you also tell me its width? That will help us locate a possible replacement. Thanks!
Looks like the tilt latch is 2-1/4" from center screw to center screw.

The overall tilt latch dimensions are about 3-1/4" long by 1-1/8" wide

I also need a new window lock keeper? Looks like the distance between screws is about 2-1/2" (see attached photos)

Thanks
User submitted photos of a tilt latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you. Are you sure it's 2-1/4"? We don't have any tilt latches that match that hole spacing. The closest we have is our 26-195. Can you double check?

Can you also tell me the hole spacing for the window lock? I will also need to know its offset -- that is, the distance between a hole center and the side closest to the keeper.
Have you been able to see the photos I've attached? I took photos of the (2) parts with a tape measure next to them.

The tilt latch could be more like 2-3/8" between screw holes centers. The dimensions of the whole piece are about 3-1/4" long by 1-1/8" wide.

The distance between screws on the window lock is about 2-1/2. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the window lock offset. Could you please clarify?

I can send you the part if we are not able to figure out these parts.
Profile picture of Tom
It's always difficult determining exact dimensions with just seeing a picture of the tape measurer held next to a part. Sometimes the angle can be a little off, and very often the measurer itself is a little skewed. Approximations just aren't enough with this kind of hardware, when even 1/16" of an inch can make a huge difference.

That said, I can't find anything in our catalog that matches those dimensions. The only thing I can suggest is browsing through our window sash lock section and surface mount tilt latch section and try to substitute your hardware with different sizes. I'm thinking that if you choose something whose hole centers give you enough space either between our outside your existing ones, you can simply drill new holes in the sash.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)