Replacing Caldwell window channel balances

A quick learner from Encino, California says:
I have two caldwell window channel balance I need to replace. One is stamped 17 4 GR Caldwell. The other one is stamped 32 4 HR Caldwell. Both are 1/2" size. Please tell me which one to buy. Thanks

Existing channel balances:
17 4 GR Caldwell
32 4 HR Caldwell

both are 1/2" wide and 9/16" deep
User photo of their Caldwell channel balances.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
The stamped information is not a balance series identifier. A balance with the 15-004 and 19-005 attached is our series 385.

Link for the 18" balance: S385-18 with option 1740
Link for the 33" balance: S385-33 with the option 3240
A quick learner from Bonita Springs, Florida says:
I have a balance I need replaced.
It has 28 3 EN CALDWELL on it.
I saw your answer to Encino (above) and your answer makes no sense.
Do you have a replacement for Caldwell?

Thanks
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I'm sorry for the confusion. The first and most important thing we need to help you identify what balances you need is the Series. This is determined by the plastic attachments you have on either end of the channel. The stamp indicates only its weight capacity, and the manufacturer is, in many cases, arbitrary. They do not tell us the configuration needed.

To get started, please take a look at our Replacement Sash Support Channel Balances section on our site. You may also want to take a look at our tutorial video on how to best identify your channel balance.
A home owner from Colorado Springs says:
Greetings from Colorado Springs, CO.

I was looking at your web site and came across the pic's from the "quick learner from Encino".

Looking at the pics, I have the exact Caldwell Channel Balances. The ends are identical but the length of the "metal" channel is 21" long. I have 4 of them that I would like to replace. However, on two of them it says "Caldwell 20 5 CQ" and on the other two it says Caldwell 20 2 DQ". Im not sure but it seems like the thickness of the springs are different and definiately weigh differently.

These channel balances come out of identical windows that are side by side. QUESTION??? Why the different sizes of springs? The windows are double glass, plastic framed, and the "window or glass" is 36" wide.

So, What replacements do I need?

Respectfully, Roger
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Roger. I'm not sure why your window has two different sized springs, actually. They should be identical.

If you can confirm that you have the Series 385 channel balance, then check out the S385-21. There, you can see a list of all the options and how much weight each option can support. I recommend that you weigh your window sash and see what the weight is, then match that weight to the option that matches. If your weight is different from anything we have listed, let me know and we can try to work it out for you.
A home owner from Colorado Springs CO. 80920 says:
Thanks Paul for your response to my email. I have established that I indeed have the S385-21 Channel Balances. I weighed my 2 sashes and interestingly they were 22.5 lbs and 23 lbs. Looking at the breakdown for the "options" 2040 is rated from 15-23lbs and the 2050 is rated from 23-27 lbs. So, the question is" Which ones do I need? So again, which option do you suggest, 2040 or 2050?

I will need four for the two windows. I'll be waiting for your response so I can get them ordered.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think in this instance, you should go with the 2040. I think the 2050 would be too strong for your sashes, in this case.
Reply to Thread
* Mandatory fields
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
15-004 : Channel Balance Shoe, Winged
15-004
Price: $0.54
Channel Balance Shoe, Winged
19-005 : Channel Balance Top, Winged
19-005
Price: $0.82
Channel Balance Top, Winged
S385-18 : 18
S385-18
Price: $8.35
18" Series 385 Channel Balance
S385-33 : 33
S385-33
Price: $10.75
33" Series 385 Channel Balance
How to identify a replacement channel balance
Video
How to identify a replacement channel ba...
How to replace a channel balance attachment
Video
How to replace a channel balance attachm...
How to replace a window sash channel balance
Video
How to replace a window sash channel bal...
How to replace a channel balance
Guide
How to replace a channel balance