SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacing "Carefree" Corner

A quick learner from Indiana says:
Is there a guide on how to replace the corner piece in the "CareFree" style storm windows?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Check out the video below for instructions on how to replace a corner key. Let me know if this helps!
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the video. My windows have a plastic corner that locks the frame together and also serves as a guide for sliding the window up and down. These are on the top corners. I am wondering how to open the frame as there are no visible dents that lock the plastic in place. I am also wondering how to deal with the seal around the glass when I open the frame.
Thanks!
george
Profile picture of Paul
Could I see a few pictures of the hardware in question, George? That will give us a better idea of what you have and what solutions are available to you.
Here is a photo. Thanks for your help. George
User submitted a photo of a pivot bar.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for posting your picture!

Take a look at the 95-193 Corner with Tilt Pivot and Guide.
So there is only the part and no user level instructions for replacement?
Profile picture of Paul
I'm sorry! First, look at the photo of our 95-193. On the end of each leg of the corner, you will see a small protrusion. These lock the corner in the frame. To remove the old corner, take an awl and push down on the protrusion in the frame, then pull the leg of the corner. Do the same on the other leg, working the corner out. It can be a little awkward, but just be patient and you will be able to get them out.
Thanks! That helps a lot. I am also worried about the gasket in the channel between the glass and the metal frame. Any particular instructions there?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The gasket wraps around the glass and is force-fit in the frame. Frankly, I think the gasket should be fine. You just have to be careful not to tear it when taking the frame apart. It is extremely important you are as safe as you can. Safety always comes first when working with glass, so you will need both eye wear and gloves.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)