SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacing Correct Window Balances

A home owner from Atlanta, GA says:
I need to purchase 14 pairs of Window Balances for residence and trying to indentify correct Window Balances. The balances appear to be Caldwell Series 86 sideload Block & Tackle Balance types based on on pictures and descriptions on the Caldwell web site.

The following information I was able to get from the balances themselves including a few snapshots of the balances.

Right Balance Stamp: 35 9 45# 23" LT HS CALDWELL
Left Balance Stamp: 35 9 IS CALDWELL

Balance Width: 9/16" or 1/2"
Balance Length 36" or about 1/4 inch shy of 36"

Window Weight is 37.6 lbs or 38lbs

Your help is appreciated.
Joe
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Before I can offer an applicable replacement for this channel balance, I just need to know a bit more information about the bottom attachment. Please take a look at our 15-004 and 15-005 channel balance shoes, and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-3/32" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely matches your own bottom attachment?

Could you also give me the weight of your sash? The stamp of 35 9 does not correspond to any of our standard options.
A quick learner from Atlanta says:
After removing the bottom attachment (shoe), and correctly measuring it appears the actual depth is closer 1-3/32" matching the 15-004 balance shoe.

Also note the original balance had a tension adjustment screw feature, which according to some, the tension adjustment screw feature is no longer manufactured.

It appears this tension adjustment screw feature resulted in having a screw hole in the balance as well as customizing the balance show to fit the screw.

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us, Joe. I recommend the Series 350 channel balance. That seems to match the attachments you have. You're right--I don't believe the channels with tension screw feature are made anymore.
A quick learner from Atlanta says:
Thanks Tom, really appreciate the support. I will order initial sample of Series 350 channel blances and test it out before ordering the remaining 13.

When going through the order for Series 350 channel balance the sash weight option or stamp 3550 indicated 30-35 lbs as highest weight. My sash weight is 38 lbs. Should the 3550 be ok?

Thanks
Joe

Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I see. It's good that you brought that up. It doesn't look like we have a standard option for this size balance that can support that window weight. Never fear, though--take a look at this Custom Channel Balance Order Form that I have started for you. This is for a balance made with a 3560 option, which can carry a window sash weight of 35 through 39 pounds. You can fill out the rest of the information, and one of our representatives will get in touch with you shortly thereafter.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)