SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacing coil balance

A quick learner from Colorado Springs says:
The coils we have do not hold the window open-it always slides closed when we open it. The lower sash (the sliding part of the window) is twenty four inches high and twenty one inches wide, but the glass is, I think, heavier than most windows of this size. I removed the lower sash and it weighs about twenty two pounds. Can you recommend a coil that will hold this window up?
A user submited photo of window coilbalance
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Can I please have the stamp that's printed on your coil surface? You may have to remove the coil in order to read it. Once I have that number, we can work from there!
A quick learner from Colorado Springs says:
Hi,
There is a 740 stamped on the metal of the coil; this is the only text anywhere on the whole mechanism. The coil is 1/2 inch wide.
Please keep in mind, I need one that fits like this one, but hopefully, is a bit stronger.
Thanks
Bernie
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks, Bernie. You have what I believe to be our Series 190 coil balance. This would make your current balance our S190-740. The next weight up would be S190-832. Would you be willing to try that out?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)