SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacing just the balance knife lock shoes

A quick learner from Minnesota says:
I have several windows with broken knife lock shoes that I'm pretty sure match the 15-026. Is it necessary to replace the entire balance assembly to fix this problem? If not, how can I replace just the shoe? Is there a video that would help? The tension on the string seems like it would make it very difficult to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello! If the shoe is the only thing that's broken, then you can replace it by itself. It does require some handy work, though. What we like to do is draw the cord out and lock it in place with a vise. This will relieve the tension on as you untie the old shoe and retie the new one. Then, firmly hold the cord as you release the vise, and carefully retract the cord back into place. It's very important that you firmly hold the cord when you release the vise, otherwise the tension will cause the shoe to snap back into place, which could damage the balance or even hurt you, if your hand is nearby. We recommend wearing safety gloves and glasses, just in case!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)