SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacing my lever handle

A home owner from Dartmouth, NS says:
I have been looking for a levered handle similar to your 39-069, 20 1/2". The old is long gone but I would like to replace it. It belonged on a Lockwood garden patio door. Unnfortunately, the long bar on the handle broke off and the people just threw it away. My questions are:

1. With new advances is there a better solution? The long bar was too ungainly and just stuck out into the dining room, unless the door was fully opened. The hardware to connect to the actual door is still there. The door is over 25 years old but has been kept in wonderful condition.

2. I am handy but am I able to just put the handle backing into the hole that is on the frame myself?

Thanks
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting.

You could replace the 39-069 Awning Window Replacement with the 39-083 Awning Window Replacement, and use a fold down handle, like the 39-205 Handle. You could use the same sash bracket, 39-170 Bracket, however the 39-069 lever is 20 1/2" and the 39-083 is 21 1/2". I do believe the lever handle holds up better, but you are correct in that the handle's placement can be a nuisance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)