How to replace a retractable screen in an EMCO storm door
A quick learner from NJ says:
June 23, 2014
I need help replacing a retractable window screen in an EMCO storm door (#0012502753). Do you have a video or guide that shows how it's accomplished?
Dave from SWISCO responded:
June 24, 2014
The retractable screen in an EMCO storm door is difficult to repair. I have repaired them in the past but it was a bit of a hassle. From what I remember, I had to remove the top rail of the storm door to access the screen. My advice for you is to go back to where you purchased the door and see if they have a repair person or at least detailed directions on replacing the screen.
A landlord from Massachusetts says:
August 1, 2015
Hi, I am familiar with how to replace the EMCO storm door retractable window screen.
- Have an extra hand help.
- Remove the side trim rails from the inside upper section of the door (inside)by removing the screws and then lifting the outer edge of the trim away. There is a little lip that sets into the window frame that you will be removing. (Have extra hand supporting the window frame while removing the screws to prevent it from dropping outwards).
- Remove the window frame.
- Tie a cord or strap around the upper half of the window frame to prevent the sides for expanding outwards while the upper frame is removed (next step).
- Remove the screws for the upper frame.
- Pull straight up and remove the frame.
- Pull straight up to remove the shade. Plugs slide out of shade tube.