SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacing small window pane with snap in.

A quick learner from Houston says:
Help,
I have a large window with many small panes. I can not seem to get the snap ins to work. I only was able to get one from Lowels hardware but it is not the same as the old one. Your video shows the snap in as very flexible and the one I am using is very ridged. I have broken 2 new panes trying to get the snap in to fit. Since, I am just helping a friend, I am not by the window to take a picture, so I drew one. I hope this is understandable. I think I may be placing the trim in incorrectly. Any ideas?
User submitted a diagram of snap-in glazing.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I'm not able to identify what your glazing is based on this picture. Our video is the same procedure we use for most glazing, regardless of flexibility. The problem you're running into is likely that it's not the same as your old one. Do you still have the old one handy? We would need to see pictures of it from the end. We would also need dimensions. In the meantime, you can browse through our selection of snap in glazing and see if you can find a match here.
A home owner from Houston says:
I have been trying to replace some window pains, I should say Pains. Anyway, I only thought there were two types of snap ins (glazing) until I found your web page. Attached are pictures of the glazing I removed of which I believe your 55-005 would be the correct select in Grey. Could you please verify using the pictures.
User submitted photos of snap-in glazing.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the new pictures! Your glazing strips look like 55-005. We do have a video on replacing snap-in glazing for you to review, but let me add this before you watch: after you clean out the frame, measure the glass and make sure to give yourself play for the snap-in. You usually want 3/16" less than the opening so you can allow the back leg of the snap-in behind the glass. First put a bead of caulk on the bottom frame, then place the glass on top. Cut the to snap-in trim to length, hook the small "U" under the top frame edge, and swing the bottom of the snap-in over the glass until it snaps in behind it. Repeat for the opposite side, then the rest. Hopefully that helps.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)