SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacing spiral balances.- details

A quick learner from Pearland, TX says:
I have not previously worked with spiral balances. The replacement video/graphic and the removal process makes it seem very easy, but I was uncertain about a few things:

- If I buy your replacement balances, do I need the tension adjustment tool, or should I expect the tension on the new balance to be "correct" out of the box?

- Do the new spiral balances come with the attachment pieces (like 15-073) or do I also need to order those?

- I have old spiral balances with damaged attachment pieces that no longer work, but it appears like they are permanently attached with a pin. If I order replacement attachment pieces, how do I remove and replace the pin/attachment piece?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I will try to answer your questions one at a time.

-Balances are not pre-charged. We do recommend purchasing a charging tool to help you in this process.

-It depends on the balance. What Series spiral balance were you looking at specifically? What shoe do you need? If it is not one of our standard Series, we can make it for you anyway. We will just need all the details of the balance you need.

-The attachments on your old balance are likely riveted on. You may have to drill them out in order to remove them. If the balances are particular old, though, it might be a good idea to replace the balances entirely.
A quick learner from Pearland, TX says:
I think your quote tells me what I need to know about the shoes. You quoted: Green Tip balance with 15-073 attached
Code: S306-29.

The balances are not particularly old (~15 years), but they were definitely poor quality. I'll probably order replacements.

Thanks.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)